Needles

Needles

Friday, March 7, 2014

Lasers and Toes

In keeping with my pledge to talk about anything and everything for my sister's amusement - I'm going to tell you a story today that may gross out some people.  I know that my sister can't be grossed out by anything I say, so be warned.  This post is going to be about toenail fungus, so some of you may want to stop right now and  click on another page. :)

I don't remember having problems as a kid, or a young adult, but for many years now, I have had issues with my big toes having a fungus that grows under the nail and causes quite a few issues with my toes - not the least of which is the fact that it's difficult to wear sandals in the summer because they look gross.  (My toes - - not the shoes)  They also tend to hurt as the fungus grows under the nail. pushing the nail up and then the sides grow down into my toe, etc.  You get my drift - not fun -or pretty.  I think it's a pretty common thing - I've read something like 20% of the population has issues with this.  And based on all of the products for treatment, I'd guess that's true! 

I've tried pretty much every topical treatment there is.  I have not tried the medication that I've heard you can take orally, because I've also heard that causes other issues.  Many of the topical treatments that I've tried have not been cheap either.  I had some hope last year for one but it didn't pan out.  It involved putting a gel on my toes every day and covering them with a bandaid - for THREE MONTHS.  My toes seemed to improve a bit, but quickly went back to the way that they become. 

A couple of years ago my aunt told me that they have laser treatments now that will kill the fungus.  So I checked into it.  It's not cheap, and my biggest issue then was that there was not a place close to either home or work that performed the procedure.  And as anyone who reads this blog knows, with 2 hours a day on the road, I'm not inclined to extend my drive.  So I sort of put that on the back burner and tried some other gels and creams. 

Anyway, as I was hacking away at my toenails the other night, (winter is particularly bad) I thought - this has to end.  Besides the fact that summer may actually one day arrive and I might want to wear sandals, I started thinking - what am I going to do when I get old(er) and someone else has to take care of my awful toes?  So I went online yesterday (isn't the internet the greatest invention ever?!) and started looking into this laser treatment again.  Lo and behold, I found a place that I literally DRIVE PAST twice a day on my way to and from work.  So I clicked on 'schedule an appointment' thinking I could have it done the next time David is out of town. 

I got an appointment yesterday, stopped on my way home from work, and had it done.  It was relatively painless.  I took my shoes and socks off, we put on special glasses, and the person doing the procedure handed me a hose with cold air blowing out of it.  As she clicked the laser gun on my toes, I held the hose next to the laser to cool them.  The only slightly uncomfortable feeling is that your toes get quite hot, hence the hose with the cold air.  20 minutes later, I was on my way home with instructions to wash my bedding, vacuum the carpets, disinfect the shower, etc.  I sprayed all of the shoes that are currnetly in my closet and the mudroom.  (I'm saving my sandals for another day).  It took a while - I have lots of shoes - especially when you count EVERY pair - boots, slippers, etc. 

It cost me $450 (It was $500 but I got $50 off because I 'liked' them on FB) and they'll do it in 4 and 6 months for free again if the fugus is still there.  So I thought that wasn't horrible.  I used Health Care Spending money to pay for it, and believe me when I tell you that I have paid LOTS over the years for all of the topical treatments that I've bought. 

So I'm hopeful.  Of course, since toenails grow exceedingly slowly, I won't know anything for a while, but maybe this will be the summer that I can wear sandals without having to cover up my horrible toes.  Keep your fingers crossed!

No comments:

Post a Comment