Needles

Needles

Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Knitting Day

Had a fun afternoon Saturday.   My niece, her mom (my sister in law) and my nephew's girlfriend all came over to my house for knitting.  My SIL was/is a knitter, and wanted a refresher, my niece is a new knitter, and my nephew's girlfriend wanted to learn how to knit.

We decided on a felted potholder for the newbie.  I find it's nice to work on something that produces a finished product - but doesn't necessarily need to be perfect.  If one starts on a scarf of something - either it doesn't look very nice, or it gets ripped up a lot.  With the felting, she could learn, and practice, and start to feel comfortable with the process, and even if there are mistakes, once the item is felted you can't see them.  So we got her started on a nice navy blue pot holder/hot pad.   My SIL found some yarn in my stash to make a summer scarf.  She wanted to re-learn knitting, but wanted a scarf with a little visual interest.  So I worked with her on elongating some of the rows.  (By wrapping the yarn around the needle in between stitches, and then dropping those wraps on the next row, you can get a nice simple pattern.)

My niece was almost halfway through a cowl/infinityscarf, so I showed her how to add a new skein of yarn, and she was off and running. 

I had a summer top that I was going to work on for Emma during my coaching.  I didn't even pick it up.  Between the three I kept pretty busy.  I find especially with new knitters, they like it when you sit by them and watch just to make sure they're on the right track.

We'll have to do it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment