Needles

Needles

Thursday, April 10, 2014

Some random thoughts about getting older

I was laying awake in bed the other morning at 5 a.m. thinking about what I was going to wear to work.  Point number one about getting older.   I wake up early every day - before the alarm - even when I don't have to. I used to tease David's grandma about getting up at 5 a.m. to bake pies, but now I kind of get it.  I don't usually get up, but sometimes I do.  It's close enough to when my alarm goes off so that I don't really want to fall back to sleep, and yet, I don't really want to get ready early, because then I'll just go to work earlier.   Next thing you know I'll be preheating the oven and throwing something in.  (At least on the weekends when I don't have to go to work.) 

I started thinking about the shoes I might wear.  I used to regularly wear a pair of KEEN sandals with really funky socks that showed through the holes in the sandal.  Now I'm afraid if I did that people would think I was a weird old lady.  I work with some people who have some somewhat odd clothing habits (who are a bit older) and I know I think that when I see what they wear.  Like one woman wears those loose jumpers with a turtleneck and clogs EVERY day.  You know the style - it was popular in maybe the 70s.  Corduroy, one button on the side, midi length.  Not a bad style, but a little dated.  It's not that I COULDN'T wear my KEENS with crazy socks.  But I don't any more.

Point three.   Hair.  I think alot about this item.  (Probably way more than I should.)  I have long(ish) hair.  This is not reallly for a style reason.  Here is the real reason.  I hate making appointments to get my hair cut.  It's much easier for me to get up in the morning and put my hair in a bun or a braid than it is to style it.  So it's really a 'don't care/lazy' issue more than a style statement.  But as I get older and my hair gets greyer (same deal there with getting it colored - don't feel like spending the time or the money) and I look around and see other older women with long hair, I wonder if I just look like some aging hippie.  Because (again) that's sometimes what I think when I see older women with a long grey braid.  At the same time, I still don't feel like getting mine cut short and then having to deal with it all of the time.

So those are my random thoughts today about getting older.  Wonder what will arise next? 

1 comment:

  1. I know just what you mean. I've always thought that, once a person reaches a certain age, long hair just isn't cool anymore. However, the older I get, the older that "certain age" gets, because I like my long hair. :) Probably that age will continue to rise as I get older and older. ;) -Sandi

    ReplyDelete