Needles

Needles

Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Tongue tied about books

I was in Barnes and Noble last weekend looking for something new to read. This time of year especially I feel like I have read every book in my house about a thousand times and can recite some of them almost from memory.

I was of course in the mystery section (where I always start the process). There was a worker there putting away books and we were chatting in that way you do with someone you don't know. She asked if she could help me find anything, I said no, I was just looking for something new to read and mysteries were my favorite. And she said 'Me too. Who are your favorite authors?'

Now, this has happened to me before and it's kind of funny. I have many favorite mystery authors, and could recite a bunch of them to you right now, but when someone asks me, I often can't think of any of them off the top of my head. I don't know if it's because I'm more visual - when I see the books and recognize the titles I look for more by the same author? Or I just can't think off the top of my head?

I felt really stupid. I stammered out a couple of names, and she starting asking me more about one of the authors that she had not heard of - where she was from, etc, and again - I felt like I couldn't really answer - even though I've read this particular authors biography a hundred times, and her books probably more than that.

Weird, huh? I feel like after I leave they think - yeah - she's a reader. Not.

I ended up buying a biography to try to stray outside my comfort zone. It was fairly interesting. It took me about an hour and a half to read it, and now I'm done - and it cost $16. And it's probably not interesting enough to read a whole bunch more times. A reminder of why I should always go to the library.

No comments:

Post a Comment