Needles

Needles

Thursday, December 26, 2013

Scary Winter Driving

A kind of scary thing happened to me on my way home from work on Monday.  It was very cold (below zero). I park outside in a parking lot when I am at work.  When I got done with work, I started my car, and turned the defrost on high (which is not an unusual thing for me to do when it is colder than you know what and I'm getting ready to drive).  

I was about 3 miles down the road when there was a very LOUD crack followed quickly by another, and suddenly there was about a 4 foot long crack across my windshield.  I called David to tell him what was happening, because I was a bit nervous about driving the balance of the trip (almost 50 miles) with this very large crack across my windshield.  It was also the day before Christmas Eve, and we were scheduled to drive my car on a fairly long trip on Christmas Day, which I wasn't about to do with a huge crack in the windshield.  So I needed him to start getting things figured out from home while I was on my way.  (He was on vacation, so he had the time.)

Well, he called 'our' glass guys, and they were able to get a window and install it on Christmas Eve morning.  They said that it wasn't uncommon for this event to occur if there was any sort of imperfection in the glass.  (And I had a chip in the windshield I hadn't gotten around to getting fixed).  The extreme temperature difference between the outside of the car and the inside when the defrost starts blasting can cause this to happen.  Funny thing is - we were in Moorhead the previous weekend where it was even colder, and the car sat outside overnight.  I'm thinking the problem actually started over the weekend, and Monday was the culmination. 

We ended up not driving anywhere on Christmas Day either due to illness and weather complications, so that ended up being a non-issue. 

But it was still scary. 

No comments:

Post a Comment