Needles

Needles

Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Coffee pods

I've been thinking lately about getting a Keurig coffee maker.  You know - the ones that you put the pod in and press the button and get a cup of coffee in a couple of minutes.

I always thought they were kind of cool, but David and I are definitely 'pots of coffee' drinkers.  We make a pot, drink until it's gone, and then stop.  During the week he preps the pot the night before, and we both fill up our travel mugs on the way out the door in the morning (as well as an additional thermos for him).  We make coffee with freshly ground beans, so every night the beans have to be ground, the pot filled with water, the timer set, etc.  He's got it down to a science and that's one of his chores.

Well, he's been doing a bit of travelling in the past couple of months.  When he is gone, it seems like a LOT of work to do all of that stuff the night before for what equals about 2 cups of coffee.  So when he's gone I just wait until I get to work and then have (not very good) coffee from the break room.

Another thing I've been doing a bit of when he's been gone is watching QVC.  (I know - it's terrible, but it makes the time pass and is kind of fun).  They have been going crazy with stuff for Christmas and they have been advertising the Keurig quite a bit.  The other night they had it on some special deal, and I ALMOST bought it, but didn't.   Part of me still thinks it's kind of silly - and not cheap either.

Then the other day I got a 30% off coupon at Kohls.  I also had just returned a pair of leather gloves that David had worn just a few times and had fallen apart.  I was looking at the circular - and noticed they had this cute little coffee maker for a pretty reasonable price.  Well.  With the 30% off, and the $25 credit on the account, it seemed like now was the time.  So:
Yes.  It is purple.  It is sitting next to my red toaster.  I actually wanted a blue one, but of course they didn't have blue, and I wasn't really thinking about the toaster (they did have red).    I brought it home and made myself one cup of coffee.

Now I don't think I'll be using this all of the time, but I can see that it  has possibilities.  Flavored coffee (which David does not like at all) - Decaf for those in my family who drink it (we never have decaf in the house) - tea.  Iced coffee in the summertime.....    You see where I'm going here?

When David is out of town I can make my simple coffee to take with me in the mornings, and we can have it for those occasions when we need something different than the usual.  (I also heard that a soup company was going to start doing soup 'pods' sometime in 2014)

I'm too cheap to make this my normal morning coffee since the pods cost more than the beans we buy, but I can see that this has possibilities.

I'm pretty pleased.  And the coffee was good.


2 comments:

  1. I've got a Keurig and I LOVE IT. I think the coffee is better--and since I only make one cup most mornings, it's perfect for me. You'll love the convenience of it! -Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Purple and red mom? ;) Just kidding :) Cool! I'll have to give it a try on wednesday! :) -Emma

    ReplyDelete