Needles

Needles

Monday, November 18, 2013

Felting

Well I had a success and a fail with my felting projects.

Success:  I made a new pair of felted slippers for David.  His were one of the first pair that I made originally, and were getting quite worn on the bottom.  So although he isn't going to get rid of the first pair - he's got a spiffy new pair to keep his tootsies warm this winter.  I actually knit these last spring, and they've been in the closet all summer waiting for the weather to get cold. 




Although I can call these a success, I can't really call it a surprise since I think at last count I had made six of this particular pattern (and 4 or 5 others).  It isn't like I was expecting them to not turn out correctly.

The lobster claw mittens - not so much.  I tried twice - took a pattern and manipulated it - the first time I didn't knit them big enough so they didn't shrink enough to make them windproof.  (Which is okay because they fit me and they are warm).  The second time around I made them bigger, but unfortunately didn't gauge the thumb correctly, so when they felted up, the thumb was too small to even fit on my little finger.  So I cut the thumb off, and can wear them also if I had a pair of gloves underneath.  (Defeats the purpose for cycling though).   So I'm debating.  I have a pattern for a regular pair of felted mittens that I made for David last winter - I could modify that to make the lobster claw - knowing that the basic measurements are correct - but right now I have other (secret Christmas) projects happening and I don't feel like tackling them.  Maybe after Christmas.  We'll see.

2 comments:

  1. Have you ever done those mittens that you basically sew from pieces cut out of old sweaters? I think those are so cute, and I've heard they're really warm. . . maybe you should try making a pair of those and see how easy it is. :) -Sandi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually I have made about 6 pair of those. They are quite warm, and quite easy. Here is the main issue: It is DARN HARD to find 100% wool sweaters (cheap) because lots of people are on the look out for them. I went to Ragstock last winter, and had a tough time finding them.

      Delete