Needles

Needles

Friday, November 29, 2013

Christmas Chairs

For years I have been enamored of cute covers for dining/kitchen chairs.  Sadly, I am far to cheap to spend the kind of money you would need to spend in order to have a matching set for either my dining room (8 chairs) or my kitchen (6 chairs).  At best you can buy 2 at a time, but like I said - by the time I've bought 3 or 4 sets we're talking some serious money.  (Especially when it's a holiday theme - you probably use them for a month?  And then have to store them somewhere the rest of the time) 

Last year I saw this really cute idea for chair covers that look like Santa Hats, and they were made from felt - which is usually pretty inexpensive. 

I did some general measuring to figure out how much material I would need, and set off for JoAnns to buy my materials.  I bought the cheapest red felt that I could find.  After all, they are really just decorative - it's not like they get hard use.  Then I bought some white felt that had a sparkle in it.  All told I don't think I probably spent much  more than $20.  (Which is less than one set would cost premade). 

I came home and got my sewing machine out - it probably didn't take me more than an hour to whip up six of these.  The one that I saw that I was trying to copy had the top of the hat done with strips of felt cut and attached:
Which was okay, but since I am a knitter I have lots of yarn available.  I thought that yarn pompoms would be cuter, so that's what I ended up doing:



Aren't they cute?  And the best part is that since I made them they fit EXACTLY. 

And (of course) I still have about half of the felt left since I always buy more than I think I need just so I don't run out.  I thought about making some for my mom for her birthday - which is in November, and then totally forgot about it and gave her something else.  Mom - send me the measurements of your chairs if you want a set of these :)

  And NO - I'm not going to make a set for everyone.  So don't ask :)   

No comments:

Post a Comment